Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Fire Storm (WiPs in our evac box)

WiP Wednesday. What a treat.

Normal Wednesday. What a treat.

I've spent the last 5 days glued to the TV and the web as the Waldo Canyon fire west of Colorado Springs is raging.

The pictures you've seen on the web and Facebook are REAL. No photo shopping there. I hope I get those images out of my head. And fast.

I took one as I was driving to ballet yesterday. It's a totally crappy photo, but you can see the wall of smoke, and the wall of flames that were behind that smoke. It was unreal. I was sobbing as I was driving. Safety? Eh. Who needs it! My mountains are on fire! It's not a bad thing to be taking a photo, texting it to your husband, and sobbing while trying to navigate amongst others doing the same thing! :)

It Is Unreal

As of right now, we've not been evacuated, but I'm always afraid to go to sleep for fear of what I'll wake up to.

But I've been putting together my evacuation box(es). Nothing is in the car, yet, because I don't ...

well...

I don't want to have to evacuate, and maybe, JUST MAYBE, if I don't pack the car, I won't have to go. :) Like my logic?

In the boxes, though are the usual things, and then MOST DEFINITELY the quilts that have been made for my children. And photos. Ours, ones Grandma gave me, all my mom's stuff.

And my sewing machine and fabric for a few bee blocks I need to catch up on. :) I've actually made some progress on Natalie's bookshelf block, but I can't show you a picture because it's wadded up in a baggie, and it's 11:37 at night. :) Sorry! Maybe next week I can show you.

But, please pray. Pray for rain. Pray for containment. This is a fire storm of unprecedented proportions. This fire is a monster with a mind of its own, and there's no way to know what it will do next. Please pray. It's hard to be living in the middle of the nation's number one priority right now.

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
It's probably not allowed, but I'm hooking up with the WiP Wednesday group.

5 comments:

  1. My thoughts are with you, I hope you can stay in your home and that fire will be under control at some point soon. I remember the last big wildfire we had in San Diego four years ago, that was so, so scary and devastating for so many, so I kind of know what you are going through right now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in our thoughts and prayers. We are praying for rain here in Indiana also but thankfully don't have fire to contend with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, I hope you don't have to evacuate and that they have it contained very soon (((((HUGS)))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, I'm definitely thinking of you guys and hoping for containment asap!! stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you Melissa! I hope things get better soon for you and be safe. No more texting and picture taking and sobbing while you are driving! Sending you hugs!

    ReplyDelete

What are you sewing?